NZSki - Slopes - Snowmakers - Mt Hutt
Mt Hutt Ski Area - Snowmakers - Winter 2023
Mt Hutt has been voted New Zealand’s best ski resort since 2015 at the World Ski Awards. A true alpine experience, with wide-open terrain, leg-burning runs, monster snowfalls, and spectacular views. You’ve not skied in New Zealand until you’ve skied Hutt!
We are now accepting applications for Snowmakers to join us for the 2023 winter season (May through to mid-October).
This specialist role requires you to work as part of a close-knit team using our snowmaking equipment to produce high quality and volumes of snow in order to provide a first-class surface on our main trails and a base for natural snow.
Before heading on up our mountain to fire up the snow guns, we first rely on our Snowmaking Team to check out conditions (as a snowmaker you become obsessed with temperatures and humidity!).
When conditions are right, a crew will be dispatched. On the mountain, you will be responsible for the operation and maintenance of the snow guns as well as the hoses, pumps, and hydrants.
About the Role
- Read and interpret weather and temperature information
- The safe operation of Snow Guns, which includes placement, controlling water/air pressure and following the correct start-up and shut down procedure
- De-icing of snow guns and hydrants
- Safe plant operation/pump house
- Identifying repairs and maintenance requirements
- Monitoring snow quality and snowpack cover
- Record keeping of daily metrics
- Safe operation of Snowmobiles
- Willingness to undertake other duties on the ski area as required if snowmaking is not in operation
- We are seeking self-motivated applicants with a proven commitment to working under pressure in a team environment
- Previous experience working in an alpine environment and/or shift work would be ideal
- An understanding of alpine weather conditions would be considered a distinct advantage
- Flexibility in working hours; rosters and the length of employment will always be subject to weather conditions and the amount of natural snow at the ski area
- Applicants must be fit and energetic, there is some heavy lifting required as part of this role.
- Excellent safety record and ability to provide references to this effect
- Comfortable working in an alpine environment in a variety of weather conditions
- A good level of skiing/boarding skills.
- Although experience is preferred, we absolutely welcome applications from all motivated persons as full training in all aspects of snowmaking will be provided.
- Ideal candidates will be able to demonstrate previous experience in a practical role.
- National Certificate in Alpine Report Operations (or equivalent) would be considered an advantage.
About Mt Hutt
- Mt Hutt is a great place to work. We have a strong group of returning staff each season (approx. 60%), and we are proud winners of NZ’s Best Ski Resort, the Qualmark Gold Sustainable Tourism Business Award, and the Christchurch Casino Champion Customer Experience.
- For further information please email: firstname.lastname@example.org - we are happy to help with any questions you may have about working at Mt Hutt!
- Applications close 20th March 2023