Hermitage - Sous Chef
At The Hermitage Hotel, our guests choose to stay with us because of the unique location, amazing views, and the excellent service throughout their stay. Our team chooses to work with us because of the unique lifestyle in a remote location, amazing views on your doorstep, and being part of an excellent team, a community, and a family.
At Aoraki / Mount Cook Alpine Village Ltd, we offer more than just a place to stay – we offer a lifestyle and an experience. We welcome both local and international guests and applicants to experience the adventure and enjoyment of this unique environment in an iconic New Zealand location.
We are looking for driven, disciplined, and experienced Sous Chef to join our dynamic team at the Hermitage Hotel. You are required to be passionate and creative and have input in developing ideas and new dishes. It is important to be adaptable, dependable and have an ability to lead. To be successful in this role, you need to be willing to multi-task and be flexible in your approach to work and working with others. You will be well-organised and display effective time management skills.
At The Hermitage Hotel we offer our guests a variety of dining options that include the premier Alpine Restaurant, Sir Edmund Hillary Café and Bar, and the Chamois Bar and Grill. You may work in any or all our outlets, which makes this an exciting opportunity to work in a diverse and evolving environment.
We are committed to providing opportunities for training and upskilling with support from our highly experienced senior chef team to team members who prove themselves passionate and committed to their personal development and growth.
In this role, you will be responsible for:
- Maintaining high guest satisfaction through preparing and serving quality dishes.
- Planning daily operational requirements, including equipment needs, food stock, and time management for delivery of food and service.
- Working with team members to monitor the quality of dishes at all stages of preparation, presentation, and service.
- Supporting cost control and budget management through accurately estimating food costs and controlling usage, wastage, and specials.
- Assisting in the management of wage labour costs through good time management and training, and supporting other staff.
- Maintaining a pleasant and safe working environment and ensure efficiency in preparation of food to exceed customers’ expectations.
- Taking pride in your work, product, team, and appearance.
- Maintaining standards and displaying knowledge of all relevant Health and Safety standards and food preparation regulations.
What do we need from you?
- Possess the Four C’s – committed, courageous, capable, and confident.
- In love with the outdoors and adaptable to remote living.
- A can-do attitude and a willingness to learn.
- Friendly, outgoing, and professional, with excellent communication skills.
- Flexible and adaptable, and able to change with the ever-evolving market.
- A strong desire to strive for excellence.
Some of the perks of joining our team at a historic hotel in an incredible part of New Zealand:
- Stunning surroundings and unparalleled views – a short and remarkable commute to work
- Unique opportunity to live and work in a UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Affordable staff accommodation, fully set up and nestled in the local community
- Great opportunity to save money supported by staff and local discounts
- Free access to all activities offered by the Hermitage Hotel
- Incentive and staff recognition programs
- Frequent staff events and opportunities to connect with your team and community
- Opportunities to grow, develop and upskill through management courses and personal development programs
Does this sound like the place for you?
Our teams live and work together so it's important that you have a positive attitude and enthusiasm for the hospitality industry. While previous experience in a hotel or high-volume production restaurant environment is necessary, we provide training to ensure that you are up to speed with our products, our services, our standards, and our expectations. With an eye for detail, you should be flexible with a can-do approach and looking to learn throughout your time with us.
- Positions are full-time with a guaranteed minimum of 30 hours per week
- Pay range $30.00 - $34.00 per hour
- Please visit our website at www.hermitage.co.nz