NZSki - Terrain Park - Head of Department - Mt Hutt
Mt Hutt - Terrain Park Head of Department
Proudly voted NZ's Best Ski Resort for 8 years in a row, we are now seeking a Terrain Park Head of Department to join our award winning team for 2023....
We currently have an exciting and very rare opportunity to join the leadership team at one of New Zealand's premiere ski fields for the 2023 season & beyond.
As the Terrain Park Head of Department, you will be leading a team who have built a reputation for exceptional terrain parks. You will be responsible for ensuring our terrain parks are built and maintained to a world class standard with a particular focus on growing the utilisation of our freestyle terrain. You’ll need to be a great team player, a confident and effective communicator with strong leadership skills and have a comprehensive understanding of all aspects of terrain park operations. You will also be expected to have a high regard for both staff and guest health and safety and implement initiatives that reduce the injury rate within our parks.
We seek problem solvers who can maintain a high standard of work consistently throughout the season, and who can operate and communicate as part of a diverse and inclusive team.
This is a full-time, fixed-term, winter seasonal employment contract commencing early May and ending mid/end-October.
- Motivate, develop, and lead the Terrain Park team
- Undertake staff recruitment, training, development, administration and performance management
- Create work rosters that allow your team to respond flexibly to changes in business levels or weather/snow conditions
- Plan, create, maintain and test park features and overall park layout
- Proactively identify and mitigate or eliminate hazards and set-up and maintain associated fencing and signage
- Continually assess snow and weather conditions and open or close features/parks as conditions change.
- Ensure features are well anchored or marked to prevent damage to features, buildings or equipment during or after extreme weather events
- Support the needs of other departments as business levels vary from day to day
- Plan, publicise and execute terrain park events and competitions
- Sign-up, coordinate and judge skiers/riders in freestyle competitions
- Educate guests & staff on the use and safety practices whilst using terrain park features
- Be capable of skiing/riding advanced/expert features and jumps
- Have the ability to build a rapport with guests and staff and a commitment to guest experience
- Be comfortable working long hours in an alpine environment in a variety of weather conditions
- Be capable of multi-tasking, problem solving and working effectively under pressure.
- Be physically fit
- Have had previous experience in a leadership role
- Ability to factor flow, maintenance and progression when designing terrain parks
- An understanding of spacing and snow quantity requirements
- Experience in feature design and construction (joinery, fabrication, painting)
- Promoting sustainability and the efficient use of resources
- Possess an excellent health and safety record and understand hazard management processes
- Proactive, take responsibility for upskilling and willing to contribute to our department goals and objectives
- Minimum 2 seasons experience in working (and ideally leading) a Terrain Park Crew
- For further information please email us